Friday, October 5, 2012

Living Together Before Marriage

"Marriage should be honored by all, and the marriage bed kept pure, for God will judge the adulterer and all the sexually immoral."
- Hebrews 13:4
(NIV)


It seems that living together before getting married is really popular now.

Honestly, I'm happy my husband and I waited. If we would have lived together prior to walking down the aisle, it wouldn't have felt as special. Cool. I get to see you every day still. The only thing that changed was my last name.

A lot of people say it lets them know if they want to marry the person or not. Living with them, you think it may help you discover their bad/annoying habits. According to a survey by the New York Times, several 20-somethings said they thought living together before marriage meant you were less likely to get a divorce. False. In the same article, The Downside of Cohabiting Before Marriage, it was stated that "couples who cohabit before marriage (and especially before an engagement or an otherwise clear commitment) tend to be less satisfied with their marriages — and more likely to divorce — than couples who do not."

I've always thought cohabiting while dating was dangerous. What if you broke up? How would you split the furniture...the pets? Who would pay the apartment until the lease is up?


I also love this article, Five Myths About Living Together Before Marriage. The myths Dan Delzell listed are below. I encourage you to read the article. It is definitely very informative.

              Myth #1: Living together first will tell us if we are right for one another.
              Myth #2: Living together will show us if we are sexually compatible.
              Myth #3: We are just as committed to each other as a married couple.
              Myth #4: Our friendship won't suffer by moving in together.
              Myth #5: We can love one another just as much without marriage.

You are all welcome to your own opinions of this topic. As for me, I think you should wait. I'm happy we waited. It made our honeymoon and wedding that much more special!

No comments:

Post a Comment