Thursday, July 18, 2013

Bathtub Cleaner: Trial & Error

Because we are still month to month on our apartment, I have been slowly deep cleaning and packing everything. If I get a job offer, we may need to pick up and move within a week or two. I hate cleaning the bathroom, but the bathtub needed scrubbed..big time. We aren't dirty people, but I feel we aren't the only family who neglects to clean their bathtub more than once a year.

I wish I would have taken pictures, but of course, I didn't think about it until after the fact...

Scrubbing Bubbles Bathroom Cleaner

I had a can of this left over from my college days. I don't like letting things go to waste, so I went ahead and used it on our tub. I sprayed it all over the tub, let it sit for 30 minutes, scrubbed it, let it sit another 30 minutes, and rinsed it off.

Well, it looked a little better...maybe? I wasn't too impressed with the results. The dirt and grime was still visible. I don't remember how much I spent on this can of cleaner, but it was definitely a waste of money - I won't be buying it again.

This cleaner gets two thumbs down from me.

Borax

Borax is my favorite thing to use as a cleaner in the dishwasher and washer - so why not use it in the bathtub? The box suggested sprinkling it on the surface, scrubbing with a damp washcloth or sponge, and letting it sit for at least 30 minutes. I did just that, but let it sit for an hour (our tub was really dirty).

After rinsing the Borax out of the tub, I was disappointed that there were still some spots with scum and grime!

When I can't figure out something, I turn to Google. I searched for homemade bathtub cleaners, and came across the next recipe...


Hot Vinegar + Dish Soap

We have a winner!

I used all of the dish soap we had left (maybe 1/4 cup) and put it into a spray bottle. I microwaved about 3/4 cup white vinegar for 90 seconds. I put the vinegar in with the dish soap, and shook the spray bottle to mix everything up. I sprayed the bathtub until the solution was gone. After letting it sit for about 10 minutes, I scrubbed away. Most of the Google results said you didn't need to scrub, but our bathtub has so many little grooves..I wanted to make sure the tub was covered. I let it sit for another 50 minutes. I then turned on the shower with the hottest water setting. I let it run for about 10 minutes. The bathtub looks amazing - almost like it did when we moved in!

Another article recommended keeping a scrubber brush with 1/2 vinegar and 1/2 dish soap in the shower. Scrub once a week while you're in there!

This was one of the cheapest solutions, and ended up being the best. I also saw that some use a similar solution for window cleaner. We still have quite a bit of Windex left, but once that is gone...I'll be trying it out and letting you guys know about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment