Monday, November 19, 2012

Post-Wedding Blues

This is a real thing - post-wedding depression.

I already have depression, so I didn't think anything of it. After thinking about it, it didn't make any sense to me. I just married my best friend, we're so happy together, why in the world am I crying all of the time?

I began looking online to see if other women got depressed after their wedding. There are several who have - I even called my mom to ask if she had it after their wedding. It all makes sense. We were engaged for almost 3 years (long distance for 4) and I'd been planning and dreaming for so long. Then it's all over in the blink of an eye...I barely remember the day, it was such a blur (and no, I didn't even have one sip of alcohol).

Tips on getting out of the post-wedding blues:

  • Clean - I cleaned the apartment a lot. Jon just moved in, so there was a lot to put away and clean up.
  • Reorganize - I reorganized our dressers and closet, as well as a few other rooms. I also found great places to put all of our awesome wedding gifts!
  • Crafts, crafts, crafts - I made a book out of our wedding cards (see here) as one of my projects. Keeping my head and hands busy was a big one. I tried to have a new craft every week.
  • Coloring - Seriously. I bought a Hello Kitty coloring book and a 64 count box of crayons and went to town. It's awesome for destressing too.
  • Pray - This is the most important one. I pleaded with God every night to get me out of the rut I was in. I would wake up and go to bed crying every day. I continued to take my depression medicine, but it wasn't enough during this time, so I reached out to Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment