Friday, November 16, 2012

Thankful: Doctors

I'm thankful for doctors who know what they're doing.


After going to several doctors, each one told me I had neurocardiogenic syncope (try saying that 5 times in a row). You can read more about it here if you're interested. I have been passing out randomly throughout the last year. It only happens once a month, but it's still scary.

Yesterday, I had a tilt table test done - well, kind of. They hooked me up the heart machine and blood pressure machine. Once they hooked me up to the IV, I was well on my way to passing out. I got the usual symptoms (sweating, needing someone to fan me, and blurred vision). I told the nurse I was passing out, so she hurried to grab the doctor so he could watch the machines monitoring everything. I also threw up my lunch, which was kind of unusual for my attacks, but is has happened once before. After I was finally done passing out, I waited for the doctor to come in - we still hadn't even done the test yet. He said that was "remarkable". He'd never seen anyone pass out before the actual test before. He said there was no need to do the test because they got all of the answers they needed. My heart went from 80ish down to 40 and my blood pressure dropped as well.

I have an appointment with the neurologist next week, so hopefully he can get me on something to stop these "attacks". The doctor at the heart hospital mentioned they can put me on some beta blockers and/or something to keep my blood pressure stable.

After a year with no solutions, I'm happy I've finally been diagnosed and we can start trying to help it.

No comments:

Post a Comment