Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Finding A Church

I grew up in a Lutheran church. I learned (very quickly) that I was supposed to go to church every Sunday at 8am. It didn't matter how tired I was, how sick I was feeling . . I had to go.

Once I went to college, I stopped going to church. I moved away from home. I didn't know anyone at school and honestly, I had no desire to go back to church. Church was never enjoyable for me. It was always something I had to do every Sunday, no matter what.

Sophomore year, I decided it was time for a change. I started going to Westlake Church of God. I drove by this church numerous times while traveling to the Avon Walmart to get groceries. I almost chickened out the first Sunday I went. I was so anxious. What if it was a crazy church that did a bunch of hooting and hollering? What if it was a bunch of old people? What if they called me out during the service? I was so nervous, but I went anyway. I sat towards the back. No one talked to me until after the service. A nice gentleman came up and introduced himself to me. He was so nice and said he was happy I was there.

I started coming week after week. The second week I went back, the guy who talked to me from the first Sunday remembered me and said he was glad I was there.

I loved Westlake. It was a contemporary service with some traditional twists. I was no longer afraid to worship as loud as I wanted. We sang current day songs (as well as some oldies) that everyone loved. The band was fantastic, and so was the pastor!

During my last semester in downtown Indianapolis, I realized I had to say goodbye to Westlake soon. I didn't want to. It was a breakup I wasn't ready for. I ended up commuting an hour to church every Sunday just so I could go to Westlake. In August, I knew I would be getting married soon and it would be even harder to go so far away for church (and would use a lot of gas).

A pastor at Westlake introduced me to Genesis Church. Jon (my husband) and I decided to give it a try. Holy cow, we were blown away. We both loved that place a lot. The pastor from Westlake recommended we go to a church three weeks in a row before we make a decision. We went there three weeks and were sold.

We tried out a few other churches the last few Sundays, and they weren't exactly our thing. I was ready to walk out of the church we went to this past Sunday. I would describe it as a "white chocolate" church. There was a huge choir singing and dancing around on stage. We also took communion, which you were forced to take it then and there and give your cup back right away (so weird to us). The pastor was full of energy (almost too much energy). When we left, I looked at Jon and said "can we go back to Genesis next week?" He agreed.

What is the reason for this post? It's important to keep looking around. Churches are so different. Keep trying until you find one you like. You never know whats out there.

I used to feel forced to go to church. I can't believe it took me until my adult life to figure out I didn't like traditional services; I like more contemporary. Now, I love going to church. I look forward to every Sunday morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment