Thursday, February 28, 2013

Show & Tell: My Wallet

I wanted to show you guys my wallet. It seems weird to some, but I have struggled with finding a way that works with the envelope system. 

First, I used . . well . . envelopes. That didn't last too long before it got annoying. I used envelopes for about a month and decided I was ready to pitch them. They got in the way and never fit into my wallet. Second, I decided to make my own wallet like these found on Etsy. I thought it was a great idea, until I used them for a few weeks. They were really flimsy and were a bit annoying when checking out at the grocery store (plus change fell out really easily). Those also did not fit in my existing wallet.

Finally, I went to Kohl's with my $10 Kohl's cash and searched high and low in the clearance department. I found a Vera Wang wallet (for $9.80!) hidden under a HUGE mound of purses. After opening it, I was thrilled to see there were large divided sections, a coin area, AND a place to hold ID cards. Excellent.

I went home and started making custom tabs for my wallet, using a regular dollar bill as a guide (meanwhile, my husband was looking at me like I caught some incurable disease). Voila! Envelope organization without all of the hassle. It's so much easier to see what is left in each category, too. I have been using it for a few weeks now and definitely won't be changing it anytime soon. Are you surprised? Budget/organization nerd and proud.



--------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, some GREAT news! I've done some planning ahead in the budget (trying to see the light at the end of the tunnel). On the paycheck I get on my birthday, April 8, we will have paid off BOTH credit cards! Jon's car loan is next, then for my student loans. My student loans are the most terrifying, I have divided them up into each loan amount . . instead of one huge consolidated loan. It makes the amounts seem more manageable and less daunting. One step closer to financial peace. Believe me - I will be posting once those credit cards have reached a balance of zero and I have called to cancel them (they have already been cut up so I'm not tempted)!

No comments:

Post a Comment